meridianEMR(®), the Livingston, New Jersey-based provider of Electronic Health Records (EHR) for Urology, announces that its Advanced Monitoring System (AMS) recently detected a security breach and other unusual activities on a practice’s meridianEMR server. This instant detection allowed meridianEMR and the Urology practice to respond immediately in protecting patient records. The successful operation of AMS highlights the company’s commitment to protecting patient data.
As part of its strong client relationships, meridianEMR shares the responsibility of protecting private information in accordance with HIPAA regulations. AMS is one part of the security measures meridianEMR provides to help protect patient data. “AMS is an integrated part of the meridianEMR system and comes at no additional cost to customers. This is a distinguishing feature of our EHR,” commented Larry G. Drappi, EVP of Sales and Marketing, meridianEMR.
“We are dedicated to adhering to privacy laws and to following best practices with regard to patient data security. If we detect any unusual activity on our customers’ meridianEMR servers, we alert them immediately,” said Michael J. Custode, CEO, meridianEMR. “As this situation revealed, Urology practices must be aware of threats to patient data security, including requests by other EHR vendors for server access – for any reason.” meridianEMR is committed to absolute transparency in all of its endeavors, including the safe and legal transfer of data, whenever necessary, according to Custode.
AMS is part of meridianEMR’s Proactive Support Monitor, which allows clients to focus on their practices and patient care rather than their EHR technology. Every meridianEMR customer receives the integrated Proactive Support Monitor to protect the safety and security of their system and data. With this monitor, meridianEMR automatically conducts more than 30 diagnostic tests on its customers’ systems each day and provides them with an early alert if something requires their attention, as was the case in the recent security breach.
The diagnostic tests monitor:
- Security – meridianEMR’s AMS is an integral part of its Proactive Support Monitor. It ensures the safety of client data and monitors for unauthorized access attempts.
- Connectivity – meridianEMR tests for connectivity every 10 minutes. Should meridianEMR lose contact with a client’s server, an alert is immediately sent to the client that the network is down.
- Hardware – meridianEMR monitors clients’ hard drives, controller cards, memory, power supplies and other components to ensure that their system is up and running at all times.
- Disk Space – meridianEMR monitors disk space and alerts clients if it is low.
- Database – meridianEMR ensures that its clients’ databases are running 24/7.
- Interfaces – meridianEMR constantly checks its clients’ interface engines for errors. If a client’s practice management system, laboratory module, or any other interface goes down, meridianEMR notifies them immediately.