The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 introduced the concept of Regional Extension Centers (RECs) into the healthcare lexicon. These regional organizations were created to help eligible providers achieve meaningful use.
Since funding for RECs from the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) ends at the close of 2014, one might expect most of these organizations to begin winding down, but respondents to the 2014 HIMSS Regional Extension Center Survey indicated they will continue to do business. Results show:
- 85 percent of respondents indicated they did not expect to close their doors;
- 28 percent of the 36 executive respondents reported their funding ran out before the end of February 2014;
- About three-quarters (72 percent) had applied for a no-cost extension of their ONC funding;
- Nearly half are creating strategic partnerships with other organizations in their service area; and
- Almost half reported that they have received state funding to maintain operations.
The survey was conducted over the past December and January and included 39 respondents representing 37 REC organizations. Almost half [Read more…]